Friday, May 09, 2008

My Fabulous Kids!

You know, it's hard being a parent. Part of you wants your little creations to do all the things you did or wanted to do, only better. Part of you wants them to become rich and famous so you can bask in their glory, and be looked after in your old age in a style to which you long to become accustomed! Part of you doesn't want to push, like you were pushed as a kid, or wants to push more because you weren't by your parents, and you have this feeling if you HAD been then you would have been the next Prima Ballerina or David Beckham! If only......

But most of all you just want them to be happy, so when they are about 4 and it's time to start them in something extra-curricular, to give them an interest, some social interaction and to tire them out so they'll go to bed earlier, you hope you have made the right choice for them!

For Taylor, who was a little show-off from the time she could smile and loved to dance and sing in front of guests (and the mirror) just like her Mummy when she was little, it seemed that dancing might be the way to go, as it was for me. And she loved it from day one, whirling and twirling, leotards, tights and tutus. Somewhere around the 4th year I realised that she wasn't going to win "So You Think You Can Dance 2017" but also around this time she became interested in singing, and she enjoyed incorporating that in her new-found performing career. She even writes songs! So this year, after 3 years of troupe singing lessons, and a couple of months one-on-one with her teacher last year, I enrolled her with a proper singing teacher, and pulled her, for this year at least, out of dance performances, for a break. This, as it turned out, opened her up for auditions and recitals and today she performed in her first audition!

Her teacher sends me the call ups and this one was a doozy, the role of Annie in the musical of the same name, presented by the Canberra Philharmonic Society, in a one-off performance in September. And the auditions this year were held on centre stage at the local huge Westfield mall! This Friday night! So I was sure she would back out right til we were due to leave, but she was steadfast and sure, steely and determined, and only showed nerves just before taking the stage, not that you would have noticed. Her perfomance was flawless (as much as it could be considering the pianist mucked it up and she had to stop and work it out with her, and then missed half the song, it also happened to two other girls) and her voice is so well trained now, I couldn't believe how much more powerful it has become! She was great and I was so proud. Whether or not she gets a call back on this role, or gets a chance at one of the orphans in the ensemble cast, I don't really mind, because in my heart, she is already a star!


And then there's the little guy. Born to be a sportsman, he could throw a ball with the force of Brett Lee before he could walk! He could also kick a ball beautifully from his first step so of course soccer was the way to go. He started last year but a few weeks in he got sick, then hurt himself, then it was holidays, and then he lost interest, so we didn't go back. We started back this week and he's into it again! Here are some photos from the day. A few minutes before the end of the session he simply ran off the field past his coach calling out "I have to go home now" and to me he said "I want to go home" and started pulling me away. It turned out his new boots rubbed and he had little blisters on his ankles! I got him to stay long enough to get a chocky from his new coach and then we went home. Thank goodness he won't be playing this weekend, so the sores will be all cleared up by then, or there is no way I would get him to put those boots on again! LOL!

So, next post I'll let you know whether or not we got a call back for Annie, otherwise we'll go to the ensemble auditions next weekend for another go. And of course, I'll share all the photos and stories from Mum's 70th birthday party! This will be the first Mothers Day I have had with my Mum in 15 years! Speaking of which, I have already got my prezzies (as we'll be away) - a bread maker, and a desk-top easel! I'm very excited and can't wait to get back home to play with them both! Thank you kids! And thank you Daddy for helping! And thanks to Roni for the lovely card and cloth picture you made me in preschool! And thank you to Taylor for inviting me to school for that lovely Mothers Day breakfast this morning!

Well that's it then! Enjoy your Mothers Day!

Trace xx



1 comment:

Chrissy said...

Oh Trace I feel so proud of Tay and she's not even my own munchkin! LOL Can't wait to hear how it all goes.

Cute Roni shots too honey. :-)